Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Protestant Work Demon

For the past week, Griff has stationed himself in a hotel somewhat close to the Red Mosque. He sleeps and writes and writes and writes to the low thunderclaps of artillery fire, which have come to be white noise. In the Post and on NPR, he has expertly documented, through copious submissions, the standoff between the Pakistani government and a group of radical fundamentalists. (No, he is not in the line of fire. On your behalf, I am abstaining from my favorite past time: crafting hyperbolic, if not fallacious, imagery. Please note that I have not written that he is the next blond Bond, sprouting gills that allow him to breath tear gas or shimmying down elevator shaft cables or sneering at rattling window panes before cannonballing through them.)

Meanwhile, I am no patient, waiting, doting Penelope. I need a job. Very. Badly. Lest I go crazy and resort to a blog dedicated to dyspepsia and boredom. At first, I tried to quell my Lutheran (both Germanic and Protestant!) work demon, Franz, by suggesting he apply for jobs with Goldman Sachs or a relief agency in Darfur or the White House public relations office. He discovered, however, that I had not gotten him a multiple entry visa, and so he instead opted to oversee me in a slavish search for purpose. In case you wanted some factual information (yawn) from this blog, thanks to Franz's prodding, I have arranged to teach two university courses in the fall, one on the American short story and the other on the American news media. Our blond Bond will be a guest speaker for the latter, of course. I am supposed to spend the next six weeks doing consultative assessment work for a national NGO that runs schools for street children, though since I haven't yet started and since I am in Pakistan, it would be presumptuous to put this in anything but a conditional future tense. I am also taking an art class, which is incredibly fun. If you would like a picture of a lopsided and poorly shaded pot, please let me know, as I'm lousy with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welll I for one would love to see the lopsided. shaded pot, though posting it upside down or backward has worked for me in the past.
As far as wiling away the time I can make some suggestions:

1. Play doggie dress up. This requires nothing more than an active imagination (which you have in spades), dogs who can tolerate humiliation, some clothes and props, and a digital camera. If you have a graphic editor such as Photoshop you can even add makeup!
2. Laundry Batiking. Ruin your favorite clothes beautifully, with errratic results. Just throw something non colorfast into your next white washload then sit back and wait for the fun to begin. Make it interesting, throw in your husband's favorite shirt.

Anna Ziegler said...

Em, I'm so impressed with what you have lined up for the not too distant future, blonde Bond trailing along as guest speaker. In the meantime, I too would love to see photos of you with your pots and I'd enjoy more real dialogue accounts of your interactions with folks over there. I also really enjoyed the picture of you singing along to Gillian Welsh against what I imagine to be the arid and foreign Pakistani landscape. Also, please tell that blonde Bond character to stay safe...